The morning of.


I woke up about 5:00 am on my wedding day. The only reason I got any sleep at all was because my mother gave both me and DH Tylenol PM so we could get at least a little sleep. My parents are insanely early risers (they get up at 4 am most days) so they were already up and moving when I got up. They helped me get some last minute things together, and made me eat breakfast. DH got up, I hopped in the shower, and then suddenly it was like everyone arrived at once.

My DOC and her assistant showed up at the house to load up all of our stuff into her car. All my bridesmaids arrived within five minutes of each other. I wasn’t quite ready to go when they arrived, and I ended up forgetting things because I felt rushed to get out of the house.

I assumed my DOC was heading right to our venue, so we followed about 15 minutes after her. When we got there, she wasn’t there, and the doors were locked. Now I will say we were supposed to have access at 10:30, so we WERE there early, but I was told getting in early wouldn’t be an issue. Well, it was, because the woman working our event (she was there to make sure we didn’t trash the place, she was in no way a coordinator) was anal retentive and didn’t want people going inside if she wasn’t there, even though my caterer has keys to the building and literally works there EVERY.EFFING.WEEKEND.

My DOC and caterer showed up and we had to wait about twenty minutes for the venue woman to arrive. I ended up getting most of my make-up applied in the parking lot. I learned a lesson here, make sure your venue allows at least TWO HOURS set-up time before your wedding. If you’re doing your own set-up or have a complicated set-up, I’d allow at least four! Mine only allowed 90 minutes, which I thought would be fine since we had a small wedding. It wasn’t. If I hadn’t a DOC, I wouldn’t have had any time to get ready!

Once we got in, we went upstairs to the bridal suite and started getting ready. My bridesmaids and mother were there at first, and soon my MIL arrived. My vendors popped in and out as I was getting ready, and once my photographer arrived, she started documenting everything. You’re going to be pulled in a million directions on wedding day, as your vendors, bridal party and guests look to you for direction. Luckily, this made the time before the wedding go by in a flash. It was only the last few minutes before walking down the aisle that seemed to drag!

Here are some of my favorite “getting ready” shots. Our photographer, Jenni of Forever-Yesterday Photography, stood in a chair to get some of the really great ones!


2 Responses to “The morning of.”

  1. These photos are so great. You poor thing having to have your make up done in the carpark! Glad it all turned out in the end. Love that flower headband. Too cute!

    P.s. If you get a chance can you email me the address for sending invitations to the White House, I’d really appreciate it. Thanks

  2. Congratulations on your wedding and marriage. I was wondering how many hours of sleep you were able to get with the Tylenol PM and whether or not it made you groggy in the morning?

%d bloggers like this: